Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Riding Lawnmowers

Hello,

Today was a really fun day! We all went to the lake, and there is a little cove there that is similar to a beach. We took all the dogs and a small paddle boat and paddled around the cove with the dogs in the back. The dogs loved the water and swam the whole time! It was really hot out, and the water was even warm so it wasn't very cooling, but still very fun. The lake is close to the house so it was a nice little trip out there. Then we all came back to the house, ate lunch and everyone went to take naps. I had to study because I have a test tomorrow. Then I worked on the small courtyard outside. I have to move really heavy granite blocks from a pile, and lay them out to make a checkered floor out of the blocks. I have been working on it a little at a time because it is so hot outside. After that, we had to saddle a horse that has been acting really crappy for the past few days. She bucks her saddle off and runs back to her 'herd' when we try to ride her, so we are breaking her in again. She saddled fine today, so I rode her around the front yard for a long time. The front yard is very big, so I just rode her around through the grass and trees and waved at all the cars that drove by. I have to get her conditioned to cars driving past because I am taking her on a ride around the block on Friday, and we ride on the street when we ride around town.

I rode around the neighborhood on horseback today and it was so much fun! Everyone talks to you and is really nice when you are riding by them on a  horse. It was really funny because I was riding down the street on horseback and a kid driving down the street on a riding lawnmower rode past me. This was when I truly realized that I am definitely in the South. Everyone rides lawnmowers around the neighborhood, and others ride horses. Everyone loved that I was riding a horse down the street and it was really fun.

Tomorrow I am taking a test, and working on the courtyard and cleaning out stalls. Then Friday I am taking a long ride around the neighborhood with a few friends and Korinn. This weekend Korinn is taking me to Smiley's, which is a very large outdoor flea market. It is basically like our swap meet, but 10 times bigger and people sell junk along with good stuff. I am going to try boiled peanuts, which every native Southerner loves, but Korinn hates. I am skeptical of them but I will let you know how it goes. Next week I am planning my trip to Atlanta to go to the aquarium and I am very excited about it.

Going to study now, but have a great rest of the week! Miss you all, and I will be home very soon!


-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment