Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I survived!

Howdy Y'all


Wow it has been a long two days so far! I have been having a blast out here. Yesterday was my first full day of work, and it was wonderful. I was outside by about 8am to feed the horses, put their fly masks on, and turn them out into a pasture for the day. Horses cannot produce their own vitamin D, so they need sunlight to aid in the production. So we turn them out during the day to do that. Then I played with the dogs here and started working on socializing a gorgeous dog named Mishka. She is part Husky and part Wolf (as in actual Wolf). She is about 3 but was very neglected and abused, so she is a bit scared of certain things. She is possessive about toys still, so I am working on that. And she doesn't know how to play with other dogs, so I am teaching her that. I gave her a bath, and she did really well. She used to get very upset and aggressive and scared when she was bathed, so we think her previous owner used water as a punishment, much like he used anything else as a punishment. She has improved wonderfully, and she is a fantastic dog. Yukon, a black lab is here because he was tied to a tree and left to starve to death. At full grown, he weighed less than 50 pounds. Now he has more than made up for that, and weighs over 130 easily. He is a fat and happy old man now, and is extremely spoiled by all of us. After playing with awsome dogs, I relax in the air conditioning and eat lunch. Then when it cools off after dinner, I am able to ride horses. Last night, I rode a horse named Glock. He is young, and doesn't know anything as far as commands are concerned. He let me saddle him and mount him, and he walked fine. I started teaching him his turns and leg cues, but I wanted him to trot so I lightly kicked him in his sides (which is the trot leg cue) and he started bucking me off! I held on and put on a little rodeo show for everyone, and he didn't buck me off like he wanted. After that was over, he straightened up and started listening, but we need to start a bit slower with his leg cues from now on. I figured that one out the hard way. I had a great time and was glad I didn't get bucked off, and now that I got it out of his system he will probably be fine. I rode till after 10pm last night, then fed out the horses and then went to bed.


Today my morning routine was the same. I fed the horses, turned them out, and worked on a horse named Rosie. She is very green and unbroken, so I am working on teaching her to trot, run in a round pen and turn left and right. I am teaching her to back up, stop and go and she is doing very well with that. She is getting frustrated with trotting and running, but I just have to keep working with her. She stepped on my foot the other day and completely pancaked it. I am pretty sure my pinky toe is broken, and it is completely black and blue. However, there is nothing any doctor can do for a broken toe, so it will just heal on its own. It hurts really bad though, but it will be fine. It definitely wont stop me from riding.

This evening, I went with Orval to pick up 2 horses that a guy is getting rid of because he cant afford to feed them anymore. They are Tennessee Walking horses and they are beautiful. I rode the older mare, who is about 11 years old. Tennessee Walkers are known for having a faster gate (walk) than other horses, but this girl could move! She looked like she was power walking around the arena. I had a complete blast on her! She was so quick and smooth. It was like driving a race car. And she was neck reigned, which means she knows to turn in a certain direction based on how the reigns lay across her neck. It makes riding extremely easy and smooth. I love riding her and cant wait to ride her again tomorrow. After riding, Orval and I fed out the horses for the evening. Then a big lightening storm started and clouds started moving in. Then a severe tornado and thunder storm watch went into effect. It was still warm outside, but all of a sudden really strong winds blew in and it started to rain a lot. The wind was so strong, it blew a rooster off of his perch! I saw him go tumbling across the air in his cage!

So I am in for the night, and we are waiting for the storm to pass. Tomorrow I will ride again and go pick up 2 more horses from the owner who got rid of his Walkers today. Then I will go to the local pound and help out with their dogs in need. I am going to a few adoption events this weekend to help get dogs adopted out and meet with local rescue groups to compare ideas for fundraisers and network.

I found a country bar around here called Whiskey River that I am going to on Friday night, so I hope they do line dancing there!

Miss you all, and I will post pictures tomorrow when I get them!

Love,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment