Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Howdy!

Hey Guys,

Things have been very hot around here lately! It has rained a few times, and there is often lightening at night, but it is really cool to be able to watch the lightening storms outside when it is dry. You can sit in a lawn chair late at night and watch lightening break all around you. It is really warm at night still, so it is better to ride horses and work outside after dinner most nights. I usually spend my evenings riding and training horses. It is too hot during the day. Last week we went and picked up 4 horses that a guy had to get rid of because he couldnt afford to feed them anymore, and they were all Tennessee Walkers. That is my favorite horse to ride now, because they have a faster gate than other horses, and when they are walking properly, like they are trained to do, they walk really fast and smooth. You can cruise along really fast on them. It is so much fun! My days have been spent waking up early, when it is still cool, and feeding the horses their grain, putting on fly masks and fly blankets, and turning the horses out into their pastures so they can graze and exercise for the day. Then I usually take care of the birds, the pig and the dogs. Some days we have a dog here named Bohdee. We pet sit for his owner while he is at work. Bohdee is a German Short-haired Pointer, and he was found as a stray. Someone dumped him on the side of the road, but he is a show quality dog. He is in perfect condition and sweet as pie. He loves coming over here to play with the other dogs and get in some socialization time. Korinn and I usually have errands to run in town, either to the grocery store or feed store or hardware store, and then we take a break in the afternoon when it is the hottest. Then, when Orval gets home from work at night, we ride horses in the arena or I train horses that need it. Then we feed out all the horses, and that takes a long time. This week, I am going to the river to hang out on a paddle boat and swim around and play in the water. Then on Friday I am going to do a long ride down the street with another girl I met through the local animal rescue group and an older man that boards his horse at our stables. I am excited to ride Georgia Belle (a Tennessee Walker) around the streets!

Last night I tried to saddle one of the other new Walkers that we got, but she was in a pissy mood and refused to saddle up. She bucked her saddle off and sat back on her hind legs so she snapped her lead rope off and walked off. I had to go catch her, but I just put her back because she was in no mood to ride, and I was in no mood to get bucked in another rodeo. I have to saddle her again tonight though, because she will learn that if she misbehaves, she will get her way if I don't saddle her again.

I am planning a trip back up to Atlanta soon so I can visit the aquarium. I tried to go when I got here, but I got to town too late and they were closed already. I wanted to go to St. Augustine in Florida because I thought it was only 3 hours away, but it is actually 5 hours away, so I will just pass. I will take another trip and go to Florida sometime.

Days are very relaxed around here. It is too hot to move during the day, so we work in the morning and at night. There is a lot to do, and I have to find time to do it all. I leave here in exactly 2 weeks from today, so I dont have much time left. If I had have known I would love Georgia this much, I would have planned to stay longer. But I am ready to get home and get to the beach!!!! I miss all my family and friends and cant wait to see everyone again!

Not much else is new around here, but I will let you know how the river trip goes and if anything new happens. Love and miss you all, and cant wait to get home and see you!


I want to have a bonfire and a nice get together with everyone when I get back!

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment