Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tennessee, Here I Come!

So my time has come to an end here in Kentucky. I am sad to see it go because the scenery is so beautiful here and it is so peaceful out in the country, but I am very excited to start working with horses and learning so much about them. Tomorrow I am going to leave here around 7am, drive to Atlanta, Georgia to see the famous aquarium there, then head back up to Nashville for a bit, then head over to my ranch in Hohenwald. They are an hour behind, so I will have that working for me as well. I am really excited to see the Georgia aquarium because it is one of the biggest in the world! And I am definitely looking forward to Nashville! I just hope it doesn't disappoint me, but I doubt it will. I am also looking forward to meeting my new hosts. They seem so nice on the phone, so I can't wait to meet them and see the ranch.


Yesterday I spent the day in Louisville and Lexington. It was a 2.5 hour drive to Louisville, but the weather was nice for a change so it was my only chance to go. I went to all of the huge malls there, saw Churchill Downs, Old Historic Louisville, Thoroughbred Retirement Centers, the Louisville Slugger Factory, Fourth Street Live, and Franklin Avenue. Franklin Avenue is a great place where all the locals hang out. There are tons of different types of restaurants and really cool dive bars. Fourth Street Live is a tourist trap. There is the quintessential Hard Rock Cafe, TGI Friday's, and other typical restaurants that attract tourist crowds. Churchill Downs was beautiful, but there was a race that afternoon, so I couldn't go inside or anything. Plus it was very crowded so I didn't want to mess with the crowds. Historic Louisville is beautiful, and all the houses are so old and traditional. There is a lot of gothic architecture, but it fit the scene well and all the houses were very nice. However, downtown is very ghetto and I was not impressed at all. I left early because I just wanted to get out of that town after that point. I then headed down to Lexington, where I had planned on checking out other parks and malls, and then I planned on going line dancing at a country bar I found online. So I checked out all the cool sights and parks, ate dinner at a restaurant in the University of Kentucky village, explored UK and then went over to the bar. It was after 10pm by this time, so I figured it would be nicely crowded by then.......I was very mistaken. It was essentially a ghost town, but the bar was very nice. There was a nice dance floor, nice tables and the decor looked new. There were a few guys, all in boots and cowboy hats, and a few girls with them, all in boots as well. But that was it. So I talked to the bartenders for a bit to see what the situation was. Apparently they do not line dance there, but they play a few country songs. They play mostly 'top 40' music and no one dances when they play country. So basically they just dress up country and sit around waiting for Britney Spears to play; at least that is what I got from the description. I was extremely bummed out. I asked the bartenders if there were other bars around where I could line dance, and they said that there aren't any in that city at all. And none in Louisville either. What a let down!! I guess it was strange of me to think that by coming to the country, I would be able to find places to country dance. How erroneous of me....


So besides the failure of not dancing like I was so excited about, the day was really fun. I loved Lexington, but would not go back to Louisville. Lexington was like any other major city, but with a Southern accent on everything. I decided that the best part of Kentucky is the country. If you do want to come here, come for the country and not the city.

So today was my last day working on the farm, and it was a very relaxed day. I weeded some garlic, covered strawberry and blueberry beds with nets and picked some asparagus. We had a nice dinner, and now I am trying to get to bed early so I can get up early.

I will see you all in Tennessee!!!!!

-Samantha


University of Kentucky, in Lexington

UK is on the left and right. The center is a walkway to get to the buildings

UK Pharmacy School, and other classrooms behind in the other building

Churchill Downs from the street

Churchill Downs

Front View

The back, when you are driving up towards it. It appears out of nowhere

Whole Foods Louisville. Huntington is better ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment