Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Mulching and Mexican Food

Hi All,

Today was a nice day outside. We got to work outside today because it stopped raining, but it was still really cold. We only had a few chores to do, which included mulching one of the crop beds that had potatoes and garlic, as well as attaching new wire to fence posts to use as guides for the blackberry and raspberry bushes. We used old, moldy hay from Bobbett's neighbor as mulch and placed it very thick on top of the weeds so it would suffocate them and let the potatoes and garlic continue to grow. We also attached new wire to a few posts, and that was our day. It did take a while to gather all the old hay and spread it as mulch, but it was crisp out so we didnt get too hot. Then we came in and rested for a while before we made dinner. Tonight we had Mexican themed food that included guacamole, beans, rice, salsa, and toppings for our burritos and tacos. Then I went on a nice little walk around the fields and through a small bit of the forest and found a nice little stream and beautiful scenery!

The Kentucky Derby is this Saturday and I really want to go, but tickets are around $300, about $25 if you want standing room only where you cant even see the track and you are almost standing outside the park. I feel like it is more of a socially elite gathering rather than a sporting event, so I wont go. I dont even have a big floppy hat to wear, so I will pass. It would have been really cool to go though. Plus it is 3 hours away, so I dont want to drive that far. But I did look up a line dancing bar in Lexington called Austin City Saloon, so I will try to get up there to check it out next Friday or Saturday night. This Friday night, weather permitting, I am going to a 'truck pull.' It is some hillbilly event where trucks pull each other or tractors or something, but its down the road and it sounds like something cowboys and farmers do so I think it will be really fun to go see. Hopefully I see something interesting and a ton of cowboys and farmers.

Yesterday it rained a lot so Bobbett and I made a ton of cherry jam and a cherry pie. We also made homemade bread from scratch and just spent the day cooking. It was really fun and educational.The jams and pie and fresh vegetables are delicious. I am also really excited to come home and start my own garden. I have a ton of different ideas for what types of veggies I want to plant, and I also know what can and cannot grow in our climate. We, Costa Mesa, have one of the hottest climates so it can be difficult to grow some veggies, but also more favorable to grow fruits and veggies that no one else can grow. We cannot grow cherries or apples because they like frost, but we will get a ton of asparagus because they really like heat. We can also grow avocados, tropical fruits, pomegranates and other things that almost all other regions cannot grow. So we are lucky but unlucky in some ways.

Bobbett and I tried to go to a truck pull tonight, but it turns out it was scheduled for tomorrow night instead. I saw a small sign advertising a truck pull last Friday as I was driving up here, but I didnt remember the town name or where it was, so I just told Bobbett that we would just drive back down the way I came up until we found it. So we found it, but it said it was scheduled for tomorrow night instead. So we went to Wal-Mart since we were already so far from home and so close to town, then we decided we would go back tomorrow night. As we drove back by the sign, we were able to get a name, so we googled it. We found a website and they said that due to the probability of rain, it would mess up the field so they are rescheduling it for another night. I just hope they can redo it for sometime in May so I can go! If not, I am sure I will find a truck pull somewhere in Tennessee. It seems like the kind of event that is popular in Southern states with the country folk, so I am bound to find another one. I had a true glimpse of the Kentucky folk here at the Wal-Mart. They had mullets, no teeth, shirts that were too small so their bellies hung out of the bottom, and the shirt usually had some random, strange patriotic message or something redneck to it, and they all just stood around and stared at me as I walked in. It was awkward, yet amazing at the same time. My jaw dropped because I was so dumbfounded at how country and strange these people were. Bobbett, however, did not even notice them. I told her if I was bored on a Saturday night I was going back to that Wal-Mart so I can 'people watch.' It was the highlight of my week, by far.

Besides all that action, nothing new has been going on here. We had good weather today, so we were able to hoe a field, plant corn, beans and artichoke, and weed one of the garlic beds. That took up most of our afternoon, and then we went inside to relax before we headed out to town. That is usually how our days go around here. We wake up and try to get out the door by noon, then weed for a bit, plant some crops, walk around the fields, maybe mow something or replant something, then we go inside and relax, cook dinner and I go in the jacuzzi. Then we relax some more after that with iced sweet tea, and then go to bed. Its pretty rough around here, but I think I can get used to it.

Bobbett's father, Walter, has a riding lawn mower that he uses frequently. Yesterday, I noticed that he had been gone a long time, and I commented on it to Bobbett. She told me a funny story about how he ran out of gas at the bottom of their very long driveway once, and had to wait until she noticed he was missing. He sat out there for hours, then got tired of waiting so he walked up the driveway. Its all uphill and took him about an hour to get up to the house. We laughed, then went back to weeding. Not even 2 minutes later, a lady drove up the driveway and came up to me. She informed me that "Mr. Walter was ran out of gas and was sitting on his riding lawn mower at the bottom of the hill. He would like someone to bring him more gas." I guess Mr. Walter did not want to walk up the hill again, so he waited down there by the side of the road for us to notice the lack of sounds of the lawn mower. I guess a lady was driving by and stopped to see if he needed help, so he asked her to drive up and find us so we could bring him more gas. Bobbett rode her riding lawn mower down the hill to give him gas, and then they both rode their lawn mowers back up the hill. It was quite entertaining. Who knows how long Walter actually sat at the bottom of the driveway. But I guess he is used to doing that by now.

I have pictures and a few videos, but it still doesn't compare to seeing this place for yourself. Rent is cheap if anyone is interested......


Love and miss ya'll!!

Sam






No comments:

Post a Comment