Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Friday, May 13, 2011

It's Raining

Hi All,

So I woke up and got all ready for a day of heat, humidity and weeding in the sunshine. Right before I walked outside, I started to hear loud, LOUD thunder. I figured that it was probably storming in a neighboring county, because it was still sunny here and usually storms can pass right over the house and not hit us even though it is dark and stormy all around us. But, as soon as I walked outside, it started pouring, with more lightening and thunder, so I got to come back inside and figure out what I am going to do until the storm passes. Bobbett and I decided to make homemade tortillas, bread and biscuits for the day. Right now it is still raining, but it is lightening up. It will probably rain for the rest of the day, so we are stuck inside.

Yesterday I got to make homemade strawberry jam. I mixed the strawberries and canned them in a water bath. The jam is very good, and I am excited to use it!

After we made jam, I realized I was out of sunscreen so we had to make a trip into town to go get some for me. A trip to town consists of driving 25 minutes to the town, which is the nearest form of civilization. Outside of town there are no stores anywhere so going to town is the only way to get things you need. We went to town to get me sunscreen, then we went to a few other stores to look at things. Bobbett took me to a few dollar stores, and they were really interesting places. They are different than our 0.99 cent stores, and they have cool things sometimes. I ended up buying a ton of candy (of course!). Then we had to drive all the way home and make dinner. We had fresh asparagus from the garden and pasta with olive oil. I also got to go swimming yesterday. We worked for a long time in the sun and got really hot, then we jumped into the pool with our clothes on so we could cool off as we dried. The pool was cold, but it felt so refreshing after we had just sweat our butts off weeding all day. We swam for a while, then got out and did some chores around the house. Then we went to town.

Today we will be inside for most of the day, and tomorrow it is supposed to rain all day again. We are thinking of going to some antique stores or maybe doing our grocery shopping for the week. Tomorrow night I am taking Bobbett to a country bar that I found out in the backwoods. There was a big red barn somewhere in the middle of nowhere on a back road, and a sign that said 'Country Music' so I looked it up and they play live country music Friday and Saturday nights and line dance too. I am excited to go and check it out, but I dont expect it to be great. I am sure it is just a bunch of locals who have nothing better to do on a Saturday night. Casey County is a dry county, so there is no alcohol served anywhere, so at least I dont have to worry about any strange drunks or anything. Bobbett isnt going to dance, but she will sit there and enjoy the music with me. I will dance if I know the dances, but I highly doubt that they do the same line dances that we do in California. At least it will be an adventure!


I will update later when I figure out what we are going to do tomorrow.

Miss you all!

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment