Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Mustangs

Hi All,


This past week has been good. It is very hot here and getting hotter! It is usually in the mid-90's and the humidity is unbearable. I have been working a lot, usually all day. I have been building fences, running electrical wire and doing a bunch of things that don't relate to horses. Most times I don't get to ride at all, and have only started training one horse once. I am not happy with the fact that I was promised that I would learn a lot, and I am used as a free worker instead. So I have decided to leave this ranch, and head down to Macon, Georgia to work on a ranch there. I originally wanted to go there over Tennessee, but this placed seemed promising so I tried it. But the place in Georgia still wants to have me, so I gladly told them I would come help out. They train and rehabilitate rescued horses and they work closely with a dog rescue as well. I know I will learn a lot from them and have a great time with the horses and dogs. There is one review of their ranch, and it was completely positive so I am excited. I will be leaving here on Sunday, stop at the Jack Daniels Distillery first, then arrive in Atlanta to see the aquarium, then I will arrive in Macon that evening. I am excited about the trip and about learning a lot. The days here are long, hot and overloaded with work. The ranch hands are very nice, but I rarely see Jim and never see Nancy.

I went to Nashville Saturday night with the French girls, and was disappointed in the lack of line dancing, but impressed with the country music talent. It is a great place to listen to music, but dancing is pretty much out of the question. This Friday night I am going into Columbia, which is the next closest town, to have dinner with the French girls and go out to a bar. Then Saturday night I am going to a rodeo down the road to watch our ranch hands and other guys compete in bronco and bull riding events. There is a big BBQ afterwards so it should be a very fun night.

Other than that, I have gotten very comfortable riding horses on trails, even ones that are newly broken. We have been working on breaking them in and getting them used to walking on trails through the forest. It is fun riding them on trails, and we are supposed to take a 4 hour trail ride tomorrow if we are lucky. I really hope we get to go because there are waterfalls and things on this ride that I really want to see.

Sunday I got a day off and went down to the river with the ranch hand Joey and David and we jumped off a bridge and swung off a rope into the river and just relaxed. The river wasn't flowing fast at all and the water was actually warm so it was so much fun to just hang out and cool off. Then we went and got pizza in town. It was a really fun day.

I have to get back to work now, but I do miss everyone and wish you were all here experiencing this heat with me!

Love ya,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment