Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lambing Season Begins

Today was the first day of lambing season and nothing happened. No lambs born yet, and I dont think they will actually start lambing until the 24th, but regardless, we have to start staying out at the ranch overnight again. So I will stay overnight Thursday night, Friday night, and Sunday night, and then I wont stay anymore after that because I am leaving on Wednesday and I need Monday and Tuesday to get my things together and get ready for my road trip! But today was a fairly busy day on the ranch, even though we didnt have any new lambs. One lamb looked really bad yesterday, so I had to make the executive decision to bring her home for the night and feed her by hand and get her energy levels back up because I didnt want to take any chances and have her die. She was almost dead yesterday when I started working on her, so I drenched her with a thick syrup called Nutri-drench that we give to all our newborn lambs and kids to give them a boost of energy. It is made with molasses and corn syrup and other things, so it has a very high energy boosting capability. I gave her a ton of that, and then I had to force feed milk down her throat, and I put her in an isolated warmer. By the end of the day she was able to hold her head up on her own, so I took her home to feed her more and watch her. This morning she looked a little weak, but I took her out to the ranch and put her back on her mom, and she had the strength to suck on her own, so she made a very positive recovery so far. I think we caught her in time and probably saved her life, so that was a good moment for us, especially among all this death lately. We had a billy goat die yesterday too, and we still dont know why. This weather has played a huge part in the high death toll, because it was sunny 2 days ago, then it snowed 6 inches yesterday, and today it was sunny and warm again. The stress of the drastic weather changes gives the babies pneumonia and really weakens them, so we have to watch them very carefully until the weather finally starts to warm up for the summer.

The rest of the animals are doing well. All the new puppies are growing very fast. They all have their eyes open now, and they are learning to play bark and growl and interact. They are so adorable! Penn is back out at the ranch now that he is old enough to eat puppy food instead of rely on milk. He is doing wonderful and will turn out to be a fantastic guard dog some day.

Today was Carrie's birthday, but I think we are going to try to go out to dinner to celebrate tomorrow because Marv had to go to Idaho to deliver dogs today, and just now got back.

Easter is this weekend but I dont think we are celebrating because Mike and Carrie have to work, and I am staying out at the ranch. But I hope you guys are all celebrating with your families and eating good food for me!

Love you all, and I will update pictures Saturday when I get home.


Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment