Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Its Warming Up Finally

Its finally warming up here in Montana, but I know that wont last long. Today it was sunny and about mid- 50s. I definitely got some sun today, and it was so peaceful to work in the sunshine. But tomorrow it should start snowing again, and be really cold all weekend. However, the weather in Kentucky is in the 70's so I am very excited to see some sun and start warming up soon!

No new babies have been born yet, but any babies that were going to be born before April 20th should be born by tonight. So that leaves us with 2 goats and 6 sheep that will either have babies tonight or not until April 20th. I dont think that is going to happen, but anything could happen so I just have to wait it out.

Marv and Carrie took me to Golden Corral tonight, and it was wonderful! I had so many delicious foods. I even found legit hushpuppies- with no meat in them! And I ate really really good banana pudding. It was so amazing, I would love to go back. I really enjoyed myself, and I think they enjoyed taking me there. I recommend you guys go there, but you would have to come here to Montana to go to one.

Not much new is going on around here. Cruiser is gone; he was sold yesterday. Im not sad about it- Im actually happy. I really wanted him to go to a good home where he will have room to run and play, and he was bought by a family with 5 kids so I know he will be a very happy little man. The reason they liked Cruiser so much was the fact that he was so social, so Marv wants me to take a little time every day to start socializing the rest of the puppies one by one, so they will be more appealing to buyers as well. It is important that the puppies are social, or else no one will want to buy them. So now I get to play with puppies even more, and know that I am helping them and not hindering their appeal to buyers.

My puppies are doing really well and growing very fast. They are so smart and playful, and they are only about 4 weeks now. Sadly, Brubaker, one of our most beloved and precious puppies, died yesterday. He suffered from some sort of brain aneurysm and died. I found him when I was out feeding the dogs. I actually already knew something was wrong with him when he didnt greet me at the gate when I pulled up. I started calling his name, thinking he was sleeping somewhere, but he never showed up, so I knew he probably wasnt alive. But I procrastinated looking for him as long as possible because I didnt want to be the one to find him. Eventually I found him laying out in the dirt behind a shed, and it looked like he was sleeping. But I started yelling his name as I ran over to him, and when I turned him over, there was blood pouring out of his ears, nose and mouth. I knew instantly what had happened. I was heartbroken, and called Marv to tell him the news. It was a very heartbreaking moment for me, because Brubaker was a very special dog. He was born with a few genetic problems that left him with poor eyesight, farsightedness, and a very slow mental capacity. But he was the sweetest, gentlest, most kind-hearted creature you could have ever met. And every person and animal that met him truly loved him. He was everyone's favorite personality, and he was a complete doll to be around. It was a very, very depressing day for me to have to find him like that. But I know that now he isnt suffering and all I can do is move on and know that I was at least lucky enough to be able to spend the little time with him that I did. Anyone else that comes to work on this ranch will never know the Brubaker that I got to know and hold and love. And for that, I am very grateful for. Whenever I think of him, I will smile because I know he was always smiling and playing and having fun when he was around.

Other than Brubaker, everyone else is doing well and growing very fast. We are selling out of all of our Aussie puppies, and 2 more litters were just born, so we will have a ton of new Aussie's to socialize and play with. I wont get to see them at that age, because I will be leaving at the end of the month and they will only be about 4 weeks then, but I will at least get to see them get on their way there.

I will be staying out at the ranch until Monday afternoon, so I wont be able to update my blog until after then. Mike has stayed out there for over a week, and really wanted Friday night off, so I said I would have no problem staying out there Friday since he gave me the whole week off. And Carrie doesnt like to have to drive Mike out there late at night after he gets off work, when she has to be at work at 8am the next day, so I said I could stay those nights as well, so she can get some sleep. So this weekend will be a little rough, but the other wwoofer should be arriving soon, so that will free up the rest of our schedules. Then I am off to Kentucky, and I am so excited to learn to garden and plant and play in the sunshine. I am looking forward to the drive as well, because I know the scenery will be gorgeous and I will get to see so many beautiful places I otherwise would have never seen. I am going through South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and then to Kentucky. I am eager to see all the sights along the way, and get to some warmer weather!!!

I got to video chat on my new iPhone 4 with my Mom this morning while she was at work. That was fun because I got to see her, and I know she really enjoyed seeing me as well. If any of you have iPhone 4's, we can video chat too!


I am exhausted and going to bed now, so I will talk to you all in a few days.


Love and miss you all,

Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment