Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Making Arrangements

I heard about wwoofing from a friend, who showed me the wwoofusa website. I was intrigued by the idea of working on a farm and living completely off the land. I loved the idea of meeting new people and learning how to live a life completely different from everything I know. So I joined the website and began searching for farms in the Southeast who wanted help. I knew I wanted to visit Kentucky and Tennessee, being a huge country music fan, and I also wanted to see what other options were available as well. I found a ranch in Montana that specializes in breeding livestock dogs, and felt that would be a great opportunity to gain the experience I will need for veterinary school. I also found a few beautiful farms in Tennessee and Kentucky. I contacted the owners, and made them an offer of my labor in exchange for room and board. After they accepted my offer, I had to research all the items I would need for my trip. I have bought a few things, like muck boots and thick gloves, but I still need jeans, socks and shirts that can be thrown away if they are too destroyed from the mud and dirt. Truthfully, I want to get so muddy and dirty that all my clothes have to be thrown away! I have been doing some research on the nightlife as well in cities like Nashville and Knoxville and Lexington. I might be able to go into town on the weekend nights a few times, and I am very excited to see some real country line dancing! I also know I am definitely going to see the Grand Ole Opry. I hope I see some authentic cowboys too :) So overall I am very excited, but nervous about the drive and what to expect. The best thing to do is expect nothing and see what comes to me. I will make the most of my time, but I hope to learn as much as I can and give myself an experience I will never forget. The driving by myself is also a little scary, but I will be able to handle it. So for now I am still making my final arrangements and getting all of my clothing together.

TO DO:
-get tune up on truck
-check tires
-get gas credit card
-make arrangements with cell phone company
-inform insurance co. of my trip
-plan driving trip with a map

No comments:

Post a Comment