Welcome!

Follow me every step of my journey across America, 'wwoofing' on ranches and farms to explore what life is like for those who choose to live a little bit different than we do.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Pi Day!

Hey guys,

Not much happened today so far, but I am going out to the ranch in about an hour to stay for the night so who knows what might happen later. But it is Pi day (3.14, as in the mathematical number). It is also Enstein's birthday, and I kinda like that guy a ton, so happy birthday to him too.

So this morning I had to get up at 7am to drive an hour to pick up a portable toilet and take it out to the ranch because we have no running water or bathrooms out there and Marv thought it would be a nice convenience for the woofers that are coming to have one. So I got lucky and will get an actually bathroom from now on, however I was okay with roughing it at first. So I got back here to Billings and made some lunch before I head out to the ranch. It has been a really easy day so far, and the goats have been slowing down with having kids, so I think tonight will be an easy night. I am really well rested from going to bed so early, so tonight will be an easy night for me. One of our kids (baby goat) isn't doing well. He was fine for a while after he was born, but now he won't get up, can't stand up on his own, and won't feed off his mother for more than a few seconds. But when he is here at home, he drinks from a bottle just fine. Maybe he is lazy or there is actually something wrong. We will wait a little longer to see how he does, but I have a bad feeling about him. I am trying to be optimistic, but we will just have to see. Right now I am watching the cat and one of the chihuahua puppies play fighting right now. It is so cute! One of our guard dogs had puppies last night, so we have another litter in the kitchen right now. They are so cute, but loud! They are very loud when they are that little. It looks like it might rain, but the weather has been really nice so far. High 50's and dry, so the mud has dried up as well. It might snow a little bit the end of this week, but as for now it isn't bad. I do miss California weather though!!!! I met a Hutterite man today; they are a branch of Amish and it is pronounced 'Hood-er-ite'. Apparently there are a ton of Amish and Hutterite communities in Montana, I guess because they are very big in Canada and they come over from there, and also because they had to escape persecution from every other state, and they finally settled in Montana. They are very interesting people, and I knew he was some sort of Amish as soon as I saw him. He wore a very nice, hand made suit with a large beard and a large brim black hat. But his beard was well trimmed and very thick, like the Amish style. Then when he spoke, he had some sort of accent. It was like a mix between Old English and Canadian and German. Marv and I went to pick up vegetables from him, and when I asked Marv, he confirmed that the man was a Hutterite. They farm, ranch and grow crops in their communities to make their income, and sell the produce to the town. We got 50 pound bags of potatoes, carrots, lettuce, beets and other vegetables, and it was very cheap. The potatoes were around $12 for a 50 pound bag! I think that is a good price, especially for vegetables that are organic and hand grown with no pesticides or anything. The town is skeptical of the Hutterites because they like to bargain for everything and that is annoying to the town, and if you buy something from them, they won't leave you alone after that. They will come to you all the time and try to get you to buy things from them, even if you say you don't want it. But they were very nice and interesting to me, so I didn't mind them.


I have to go now because it is time to get to the ranch for the night, but I will try to take pictures and let you all know if anything interesting happens this evening!


Love you all,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment